I have completed chemo session five. Because of my side effects, my cocktail is being adjusted.
Because of the progression of the neuropathy symptoms, the nurse practitioner consulted with my oncology doctor. The result was the removal of the Oxaliplatin from the mix. This is also the one that causes the pins-and-needles pain when touching something cold and the constricting of the throat when drinking something cold. I am quite OK with this. Dr. Andreason (my oncologist) said the removal of the Oxaliplatin would result in less than a 5% difference in the potential re-occurrence of cancer.
For anyone interested, here are some informative information/links to the poisons I am/was infusing every two weeks.
Oxaliplatin is an anti-cancer (“antineoplastic” or “cytotoxic”) chemotherapy drug. Oxaliplatin is classified as an “alkylating agent.” Oxaliplatin is used to treat colon or rectal cancer that has spread (metastasized).
Fluorouracil is an anti-cancer (“antineoplastic” or “cytotoxic”) chemotherapy drug. Fluorouracil is classified as an “antimetabolite.” What Fluorouracil Is Used For:
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Breast cancer
- Gastrointestinal cancers including anal, esophageal, pancreas and gastric (stomach)
- Head and neck cancer
- Unknown primary (squamous cell)
- Neuroendocrine tumors
- Thymic cancers
- Cervical cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Hepatobiliary cancers
- Topical use (cream or solution) in basal cell cancer of the skin and actinic keratoses
Leucovorin is a reduced folic acid. Leucovorin is used in combination with other chemotherapy drugs to either enhance effectiveness or as a “chemoprotectant.” What Leucovorin Is Used For:
- In combination with fluorouracil to treat cancers such as; colon and rectal, head and neck, esophageal, and other cancers of the gastrointestinal tract.
- As an antidote to effects of certain chemotherapy drugs such as methotrexate.
- Treatment of megaloblastic anemia when a folic acid deficiency is present.
I would have listed the side effects for each, but this post would have been WAY too long. If you are interested, I encourage you to follow the links.
All of them are things one should never normally take into their body in any way or form. But if it will keep the big C from coming back …