Modeled on The Soar Baird guild in EverQuest and the Living City bards guild (TSR).
Though never implemented in-game, maybe someday on Project 1999.
The Guild is composed of the governing body, or Council, the guild membership, or Troupe, and academic center, or Campus. The Campus and Troupe are both overseen by the Council.
The Council is the governing body of the Guild and is composed of seven seats - Prime and six Leads.
The Prime seat is considered the main voice of the Guild and is filled by a vote from the other six Council seats.
The six remaining Council seats are the Leads for the different Circles of the Campus and are filled by a vote from the Troupe membership of the associated Circle.
All decisions the Guild as a whole must make are normally resolved by a simple vote of the Leads, with the deciding vote in the case of a tie being cast by the Prime seat.
The Campus is organized into three Branches, each of which has two Circles of specialization. Each Circle has a Lead that oversees the day-to-day operation of the Circle. The Leads also occupy seats on the Council and therefore are directly involved in the governance of both the Campus and Troupe overall.
The Campus proper is composed of three Branches, each representing an aspect of the whole: Body, Mind, and Soul.
The Body of the Campus is further divided into two Circles of expertise - War and Heraldry.
- Circle of War
- Symbolized as a pair of crossed blades, the duties of the Circle of War are teaching and mentorship in the theory and practice of conflict, both tactical and strategic, as it relates to the student and the realms.
- Maintain the public forums (The Lists)
- Theoretical and applied weapons, armor, and tactics
- Theoretical and applied supply, demand, and strategy
- Circle of Heraldry
- Symbolized as a shield, the duties of the Circle of Heraldry are the administration of bardic events, mentorship and services for diplomacy and mediation, and maintaining up to date and accurate lineages and coats of arms for all the known realms. The Circle of Heraldry works closely with the Circle of Lore to ensure changes are duly recorded.
- Maintain the newsletter (The Prelude) and an accurate record of coats of arms
- Announcement and administration of events
- Diplomacy and mediation services and mentorship
The Mind of the Campus is further divided into two Circles of expertise — Lore, and Academy.
- Circle of Lore
- Symbolized as an open scroll, the duties of the Circle of Lore are to research and record the history and events of the realms and it’s peoples.
- Maintain the library (The Lore Master’s Hall)
- Research of history
- Recording of events
- Circle of Academy
- Symbolized as an open book, the duties of the Circle of Academy are to recruit and advocate for apprentices, and provide mentoring and teaching in the bardic ways.
- Maintain the registry of members and potential members (The Registry)
- Recruitment and advocacy
- Teaching and mentoring in the bardic ways
The Soul of the Campus is further divided into two Circles of expertise - Balladry and Craft.
- Circle of Balladry
- Symbolized as a quill, the duties of the Circle of Balladry are the composition and performance of works both fact and fiction.
- Maintain the writers’ workshop (The Writer’s Rest)
- Composition of works
- Performance of works
- Circle of Craft
- Symbolized as a lute, the duties of the Circle of Craft are the theory and practice of instrument crafting and use, and the arcane mysteries.
- Maintain the craft workshop (The Skunk Works)
- Theoretical and applied instrument crafting and use
- Theoretical and applied arcana
A happy Guild is a communicating Guild. There are several forums presented by the Guild, six of which are maintained, regulated, and supervised by each of the respective six Circle’s of the Campus, and four maintained, regulated, and supervised by the Council.
Each of the six Circle forums has a specific purpose related to the Circle of the Campus it is associated with.
- The Writer’s Rest
- An area for anyone to post, critique, and provide commentary on personal works. Posting of raw or incomplete works is encouraged for comment and evaluation. Questions about writing, song composition, and storytelling are also welcome here. The different threads within are created and maintained under the watchful eye of the head of the Circle of Balladry. Both in character and out of character posts are welcome. This forum is generally read-only to non-members, though a non-member comment thread is maintained.
- The Skunk Works
- Divided into two general areas, the first is a forum for those working on the crafting of and performance with the different instruments of the realm. The second is a forum for those working on developing his or her skills in the theory and practice of performance of the different stories and songs of the realm. These forums are monitored by the head of the Circle of Craft and both in character and out of character posts are welcome. This forum is generally read-only to non-members, though a non-member comment thread is maintained.
- The Lists
- Here the theory and practice of the different areas of war are discussed. Everything from personal weapons, armor, and tactical combat skills and techniques to the strategic level politics, economics, and diplomatic issues that are affecting all the realms — and everything in between. Peoples of the realm are encouraged to debate topics both current and past here. Both in character and out of character posts are welcome under the guidance of the head of the Circle of War. This forum is generally read-only to non-members, though a non-member comment thread is maintained.
- The Prelude
- A set of micro-blogs for all groups and individuals in the Guild that may desire one, with one over-arching blog which is the Campus’ newsletter. In The Prelude, you should find the latest news and gossip of the realms as well as a comprehensive expose of current and upcoming events. Of particular interest might be the college’s schedule of performances with dates, times, context, and those performing. Control is maintained in The Prelude by the head of the Circle of Heraldry and out of character comments are allowed in specifically identified threads only. This forum is generally read-only to non-members, though a non-member comment thread is maintained.
- The Lore Master’s Hall
- More of a library than a forum, The Lore Master’s Hall is managed by the head of the Circle of Lore and tries to maintain a complete and accurate accounting of the events and history of the realms as is possible. Submissions are encouraged for inclusion and all records within the hall are open to the public. A single thread is maintained (both in and out of character comments from both members and non-members are welcome) for input from the peoples of the realms for advice, corrections, and suggestions. Also within the hall are documents maintained specifically by the Circle of Heraldry detailing the lineages and coats of arms for all significant areas of the realms.
- The Registry
- The Registry is a public record of the recruitment, apprenticeship, and deeds of each member of the Guild. Here a comprehensive list of the works created, contributions to The Lore Master’s Hall, and the abilities of each member are detailed. The Registry is a “read-only” area and the accuracy and detail of the records is the responsibility of the head of the Circle of Academy. There is a single forum available to the general public for questions, comments, and suggestions specifically for the Circle of Academy, and this forum is the public face of the Campus to all non-members for official college business.
The four Council forums serve as the general face of the Guild to the peoples of the realms and provide private Council only communications.
- The Tall Tale Tavern
- This is the place to sit back, relax, and socialize with folks from all walks of life in the realms. Beverages and food (virtual) are available for refreshment and sustenance when the tavern keeper is in, or if some enterprising individual just steps behind the bar or into the kitchen. This area is all in character and an area for the people of the realms to relax and enjoy, or tell, a tale or two while rubbing elbows with all manner of folk. This forum is open to all peoples of the realms.
- The Assembly
- This forum is open to all peoples of the realms for general in and out of character posting. General chit-chat in and out of character is welcome here as The Assembly is our general public forum. Note: this forum is little monitored, so if you want answers from the college or are petitioning for an apprenticeship, this is not the place to do so. Visit The Registry’s public forum for such matters.
- The Artisan’s Hall
- This is a members only area. All members of the Guild are welcome to post in character and out of character here. However, it may take the Council some time to respond to any specific issues or questions posted in here, so if your post is specific to a particular Circle, it would be best if you posted to the appropriate forum monitored by that Circle.
- The Council Sanctuary
- This forum is for the Council only. In here the Council discusses the issues and opportunities specific to the Campus, Troupe, and Guild.
The Tall Tale Tavern
The Artisan’s Hall
The Council Sanctuary
The Lore Master’s Hall
The Writer’s Rest
The Skunk Works